Minutes 2013 April 6

With 24 members present President Tom Gerken brought the meeting to order for the April 6, 2013.

Up Coming Events: Mark your calendar and get ready to RALLY!

  • May 3-5; Georgia Mountain Rally- Georgia Mountain Fairgrounds, Hiawassee, Georgia
  • May 11; New England BMW ride to Stuart & John’s Sugar House in Westmoreland, NH. Arrive by noon for lunch. http://www.stuartandjohnssugarhouse.com/
  • May 17-19; BMWRSM Down East Rally – Hermit Island Campground, Phippsburg, ME
  • June 20-23; RA Rally- Biltmore Estate, Asheville, North Carolina
  • July 12-14; Loring Timing Association Land Speed Races, Limestone, ME
  • July 18-21; MOA Rally- Oregon State Fair Grounds, Salem, Oregon
  • September; Rally in the Pocono’s – September (only last year’s information available on line).

Secretary’s Report

  • Correction to March Minutes; The Ride Boss’s name is Paul and not Tom.
  •  Motion to accept the minutes; Phil Jones, seconded by Steve Garrett, with the membership voting to approve.

Treasurer’s Report

  • Club account and Rally account balances reported
  • Motion to accept the treasurer’s report; Jim Salisbury, seconded by Joe Saunders, with membership voting to approve.

BMWRSM Membership Report

  • Current membership stands at 78 down 14 from last year
  • Remember, you can still renew your membership from the comfort of your home by going on line to BMWRSM.org payment accepted via PayPal.

Rally Report

The Rally Meister is out of town and was not with us this week, but here’s the update on registration from Dave:  “As of today (3/22) we have 92 people signed up. They have ordered 92 Lobsters and 24 veggie/ham dinners. This is quite a bit ahead of last year when at this time we had only 61 people signed up. Members here is your early warning; at this rate we will be closing the rally pre-registration a week or two before the rally date” If you plan to attend and have yet to register now’s the time.

  • Last year’s attendance was 186
  • Capacity is 200
  • Help in soliciting Door prizes is eagerly accepted; currently the number of donations is down from last year.
  • Because Street Cycles has supported the club, it was suggested two gift certificates in the amount of $100.00 each be purchased for door prizes. Motion was made by Gil Gilpatrick, seconded by Joe Saunders with the membership voting unanimously in favor. Funds will come from the rally account and not the club.

Road Boss

  • Paul is working on a ride to Manchester, NH to include a tech session at a repair shop with ride back to Maine. Tentative date around the end of May. Paul noted the New Hampshire area has several opportunities for off roading with side cars and GS bikes.
  • Shawn is also planning a work day at his place. Stay tuned watch for emails and check the website for updates.

Old Business

      • Again Tom asked the membership for volunteers to fill the two remaining open officer positions; Vice President and Safety Officer.
      • Because of the difficulty in filling these open positions; Tom proposed the membership may want to revise its by-laws to reflect how the MOA fills its officer positions. The process the MOA uses; it elects its board and the board then selects its officers. Tom will schedule a board meeting in the next couple of months for further discussion.
      • Current club officers;

President – Tom Gerken                                          Membership – Bob Griffin
Vice President – vacant                                            Web Master – Shawn Blair
Treasurer – Tim Sheehan                                         Ride Boss – Tom Kennedy
Secretary – Sandy Peabody                                       At Large – Jim Salisbury
Rally Chair – Dave Eskelund                                     At Large- Don Kent

      • The July meeting will be the second Saturday (July 13), due to the July 4 holiday week. Meeting location TBD.
      • In a related development, Jim Salisbury will contact the Peppermill in Limerick and Joseph’s in Old Orchard to check on availability for our summer month meeting location(s). Other suggestions; The Egg & I, Scarborough and by exit 48 and Seadog Brewing, Topsham
      • Tom has been talking with campground owners to put together a mid-summer weekend get together.  The difficulty is the mid-summer is peak season for campgrounds. Owners are more flexible during the fringe season, which is early spring and September.
      • Please contact Tom by email to provide feedback and/or input for planning the weekend get together. With no response he has no direction as to what the membership would like to do.

New Business

      • Monthly meeting dates at Cole Farms:

May 4
June 1   TBD

      • A dinner ride was proposed in place of an ice cream ride. The theme for the night would be German. Possibly at Richard’s in Brunswick.
      • Planning a Ride? Have an interesting topic? Shawn encouraged members to post it on the forum. Additionally, there are more people following us on twitter.  Need a login & password? Email the webmaster.
      • The 50/50 winner this week received $15.00

Motion to Adjourn

      • A motion to adjourn was made by Jim Salisbury and seconded by Bob Griffin.

 

Until Next Time, Respectfully submitted

Sandy Peabody