With 22 members in attendance and 1 guest President Tom Gerken brought the meeting to order for the March 2, 2013.
- Membership renewal; go on line to BMWRSM and renew with PayPal by the end of March or see Bob Griffin
- For Rally registration; go online; BMWRSM to register.
- Sign up to volunteer for the Rally. See/contact Dave Eskelund to help out, don’t be shy, there is a lot of stuff to do.
- Tom Kennedy has graciously volunteered to be the club’s Ride boss.
- Rally info 2013
- Georgia Mountain Rally- May 3- 5, Georgia Mountain Fairgrounds, Hiawassee, Georgia
- BMW RSM Downeast Rally – May 17-19,Hermit Island Campground, Phippsburg, ME
- RA Rally- June 20-23, Biltmore Estate, Asheville, North Carolina
- Rally- July 18-21, Oregon State Fair Grounds, Salem, Oregon
- Rally in the Pocono’s – September (only last year’s information available on line).
- Minutes will now be posted online shortly after each meeting for members to view in order to save a few trees.
- There were no additions or changes to February’s minutes. Jim Fisk motioned to accept the minutes seconded by Bob Griffin, with the membership voting to approve.
- Tim reported the balances on the rally account and club account (amounts withheld for online publication)
- Bob Griffin motioned to accept the report with Jim Fisk second, with membership voting to approve.
BMWRSM Membership Report
- Bob Griffin reported current membership is at 52. Last year there were 84.
- March is the last month for carryover, if you have not renewed, please do so by the end of the month.
- Please note; you can do this from the comfort of your home by going on line to BMWRSM.org and using PayPal.
- Dave Eskelund reported 50 have registered for the rally. It is 50/50 membership vs. non-members.
- Volunteers are still needed, see Dave or email him to help out.
- Tom Gerken asked the membership to consider volunteering for the two remaining open officer positions; Vice President and Safety Officer. The Safety Officer would provide the membership with helpful safety tips at each meeting.
- Current club officers;
President – Tom Gerken Membership – Bob Griffin
Vice President – vacant Web Master – Shawn Blair
Treasurer – Tim Sheehan Ride Boss – Tom Kennedy
Secretary – Sandy Peabody At Large – Jim Salisbury
Rally Chair – Dave Eskelund At Large — Don Kent
- July and August meetings, Tom proposed meeting the second Saturday in July, due to the July 4 weekend.
- For the monthly meetings in July and August Tom asked the membership to email him with ideas. Last summer’s monthly meetings were held in Limerick and Joseph’s in Old Orchard. One suggestion given was North Conway.
- Discussion followed regarding holding a meeting on a weekend in conjunction with camping, off road and tour rides in addition to family activities. (Members could arrive Friday night, either camp or stay at a local inn, hotel or B&B. Breakfast meeting Saturday morning, followed by a variety of rides around the area. Further discussion included:
- Advanced planning is difficult, this is peak season for campgrounds and it may be hard to get space for a weekend.
- Look at off peak weekend?
- Look at middle of summer, not many other activities during that time, (end of July, beginning of August). Other rallies are either early or late summer.
- Another possible location; Peaks Kenny State Campground- Sebec lake, Dover Foxcroft
- Stay tuned-More discussion and follow-up next meeting.
- Monthly meeting dates at Cole Farms:
- Tom brought back from a recent trip, motorcycle touring brochures’ for the membership from the states of West Virginia and Pennsylvania
- Shawn proposed and offered his garage and large driveway as a place to hold a work day sometime during June or July. As in the past, it would be a club event where members could arrive and perform preventative maintenance in addition to swapping stories.
- Jim reported there were 13 attendees at the swap meet, 3 from as far away as Belfast. See the web site for further details.
- Seal Cove Auto Museum is inviting groups to come up and see the museum.
- Shawn reminded the membership to check the BMWRSM website for notices, follow the club on Facebook and twitter. Additionally, members should expect to receive one email a month from Tom reminding them of the monthly meeting. If you are not receiving the notification, please send a message to the webmaster.
- Paul has offered to set up an demonstration for the membership to check out the latest technology from BMW and the Nissan Leaf through Bill Dodge BMW of Westbrook and Nissan of Saco
Motion to Adjourn
- A motion to adjourn was made by Bob Griffin and seconded by Ken Gaudin.
Until Next Time, Respectfully submitted