BMW Riders of Southern Maine May 2014 Meeting Minutes
With 42 members in attendance, President Tom Gerken brought the meeting to order for May 3, 2014.
Mark your calendars…
- May 12, 2014 -Deadline to register for the MOA mileage contest.
- May 15, 2014 – For early arrival’s & RSM members “Beemers & Brats” at Richard’s in Brunswick, ME 6:00 PM
- May 16-18, 2014 – BMWRSM Annual Rally, Hermit Island Campground, Phippsburg, ME
- May 29-31, 2014 – 42nd International BMWRA Rally, Barber Motorsports and Museum, Birmingham, Alabama.
- June 6, 7, 8… 2014 – Black Fly Rally; Northern New England & Canada; see announcements.
- June 7, 2014 – BMWRSM monthly meeting at Fair Grounds Café, Topsham Fair Mall, Topsham, 8:30 AM
- July 18, 19 & 29 2014 – Speed Time Trials at the formal Loring Air Force base Limestone, ME.
- July 24-27, 2014 – 15th annual Northeast European Motorcycle Rally FMI; http://sites.google.com/site/nemrally
- July 24-27, 2014 – 2014 International MOA Rally – St. Paul, Minnesota
- Great turn out at today’s monthly meeting!
- 2014 BMW MOA Mileage begins April 12. Your entry must be verified/signed by either Duane S. (at Street Cycles) or Tom Gerken and postmarked no later than May 12.
- Black Fly Rally, See Fred for information, a passport is a must. Starts in Maine and takes in the following in no particular order; New Brunswick, Quebec, New York, New Hampshire, Vermont (limited to 20 riders)
- Minutes from April’s meeting are on the web site and copies were provided for review prior to the meeting. Motioned and seconded with a vote of approval from the membership.
- Irene shared the treasures report whereupon, a motion was made Jim, seconded by Mike, voted upon and approved by the membership;
- Membership stands at 82, down 2 from this time last year.
- More are expected to join at the rally.
- But wait there’s more… Membership renewal can be easily performed via the web site using PayPal.
Rally Master/Rally related information
- Dave reported the rally is closed to registration.
- 195 people have registered with a wait list of 10.
59 are members
135 are non members
68 are new to the rally
- Lobster dinner
38 vegetarian meals
- 61 shirts were sold, 38 are the “new” wicking. All are prepaid and will be passed out during registration.
- Loading of Jim’s trailer will be Saturday, May 10, watch your email.
- Thursday Night before the rally “Slice & Dice”.
- Please Note- Members are welcome “to come for the day” to stop by for a cup of coffee and chat, however, there are no extra meals and if it rains, there will be no room in the kelp shed. Plan accordingly.
- There will be a membership table at the rally to encourage new members to sign up. Volunteers are needed, see Don Kent.
- Joe reminds the membership to bring your motorcycle or non related motorcycle items for the swap meet/ yard sale. With 68 new registrations, it will be a target rich environment…
- Self guided rides, information; gps coordinates, maps and directions will be provided for the rally.
- White Horse Gear, Center Conway, NH will honor the open house discount for registrants coming to or returning after the rally.
- Dave Percival of Andover, ME is unable to open his collection of BMW’s for viewing due to another commitment that weekend. The collection will be open for viewing during the weekend of the Northeast European Motorcycle Rally, July 24- 27.
- Steve has created a spreadsheet for rides.
- Rides will start at 8:30 from Street Cycles in Falmouth; see the web site for more information.
- Ideas for upcoming rides; antique motorcycle, side car, GS, Annual Togus picnic
- A riding contest is in its development stage, stay tuned; details to follow. Hint; civil war monuments.
- Club Survey results
#1 activity- club picnic and BBQ
#2 activity-Club participation in the European Motorcycle Rally
#3 activity– Motorcycle shows/rally
- Membership rack cards are available for distribution. Street Cycles has a display, Tom will distribute to dealers in the Brunswick area. If you know a dealer, see Tom and he can provide a display rack and brochures.
- Members are encouraged to carry and distribute to fellow riders to increase membership.
- The original approved budget from the membership was $1500.00. Tom requested the board to approve an additional $300.00 to cover additional costs (quantity, shipping) related to the rack cards, tire repair kits, club stickers to put on repair kits and kick stand coasters. The total for all these items came to $1757.53 and they will be ready for the rally
- Tom asked the membership for approve postage to send a rack card to each MOA registered member in the state. MOA has 247 members in Maine.
- Email Tom with suggestions as to where to hold the July and August monthly meeting.
Motion to Adjourn
- A motion to adjourn was made and seconded.
Until Next Time,
Respectfully submitted Sandy Peabody