BMW Riders of Southern Maine November 2014 Meeting Minutes
With 25 members in attendance, President Tom Gerken brought the meeting to order for November 1, 2014.
Mark your calendars…
- November 12, 2014 – MOA Mileage contest ends. Entries must be postmarked no later than Nov. 12, 2014
- December 6, 2014 – BMWRSM monthly meeting Fair Grounds Café, Topsham, ME
- DECEMBER 6, 2014 – Coats for Kids club delivery ride to Pratt-Abbott on Forest Ave. Please bring donations to the next meeting; Coats or Toys (must be new, unopened and unwrapped).
- January 25, 2015 – BMWRSM Holiday party location TBD
- May 29-31, 2015 – Downeast Rally – NOTE THE DATE CHANGE
- June 6, 2015 – Red Cross Blood drive @ Street Cycles, RT 1 Falmouth, ME
- Summer 2015 – MOA Rally, Billings Montana
- Summer 2015 – RA is looking to hold a rally in somewhere in New England, (looking for ideas)
Looking for something to do next summer???
- Interested in riding 15,000 miles? No dirt, 6 weeks -Mid July to August. Maine to Alaska and back, Contact; Peter Beliveau at email@example.com
Welcome to Courtney Bell
- Minutes from October’s meeting were distributed and on the web site. Motion was made, voted on and approved
- The Treasurer’s report was motioned, voted on and approved
- Currently holding at 89 up 5 from last year at this time.
- No report
- Better positioned than last year with promotional material with club logo and contact information.
- Looking to create activities with others to promote club membership. Suggestion; to hold a flea market for all brands.
- New members were asked how they learned about club. Through web site and face book page
- The Blood Drive is set for Saturday June 6, 2015. Don will contact the media, Tom will contact Ride Maine. We will need to have a club presence there in addition to volunteers.
- Club mailing – Tom is working with MOA to mail out the brochures around February/March. MOA will address the envelopes to club members in Maine. RSM provides the brochures and pay for the postage.
- Coats for Kids – Discussion; Last year was dismal, is the time and effort worth it? A small donation looks bad for the image of the club. Does the club wanted to continue supporting this cause? A motion was made to commit to bring in coats for the next meeting. It was seconded, and members voted unanimously to support the motion. Suggestions; Coats for young adults, new unopened unwrapped toys.
- Philanthropy – Does the club want to connect with an organization? Rational; to bring in new members, positive publicity for the club. Discussion; By-laws restrict who and what organizations we can donate to. There had been significant discussion some time ago. Resulting in the by-law, donations can only be made to promote motorcycle safety and education. The club members have donated time to Tri for a cure, Pirate Tri. Possible idea; sponsor a scholarship to a high school student going to a post-secondary motorcycle technician school.
- Board meeting – to be held in the near future, weekend or evening, dedicated time for looking at 2015 club activities. The club approved paying for a meal for the board at a previous meeting.
- Elections – All positions are open for nominations. Tom has thrown his hat in the ring for another year in addition to two board members. Fred indicated he would be interested in a director’s position. Existing board members can contact Tom to let him know if they are interested in continuing.
- Holiday party – Keeley’s now has bar service. Discussion; Keeley’s vs. Maria’s? (Pro’s and con’s for each) Look at other venues? Requirements; need room for 50+ people. What would the plate charge per person be (for comparison). Email Tom or Dave with your suggestions for a place to hold the party. Will keep January 25th date for this year. A committee will be formed to look at other dates, Saturday vs. Sunday for next year.
- Winter membership – There is interest in doing something, Tom and Don will work on a location and dates.
- Hermit Island will not be open for Memorial Day weekend. Pushing the rally date to May 29, 30 and 31.
- Canadian holiday will not be the same weekend resulting in less attending.
- Canadian members will be emailed to ask how this might affect their attendance.
- Does the club want to look at other campgrounds?
- Changing the date may conflict with other MOA or New England motorcycle events.
- Once schools are out for the summer, campground availability goes too.
- A motion was made to take the date and do the best for this year. The vote was unanimous. The club will go with the new date. Volunteers will be recruited to look into what to do for next year.
- Dave also informed the members that Hermit Island’s rates are now $9.00 more per person per night. Which raises the clubs cost $500.00 to $700.00 for camping. At this time the cost of the kelp shed has not changed. A suggestion was made to have Hermit Island take the reservations and collect for the camp sites. Another source to offset the higher cost would be to charge $5 or $10 for day visitors.
Tom recently toured several campgrounds around Bar Harbor which offer camp sites, cabins and kitchen facilities. His thoughts are about having a pre (mid may to mid June) or post season get together in addition to a BBQ in the middle of the season.
Motion to Adjourn
- A motion to adjourn was made and seconded.
Until Next Time,
Respectfully submitted Sandy Peabody