With 20 members in attendance, President Tom Gerken brought the meeting to order for June 6, 2015.
June 13 – Antique Motorcycle Ride (Saturday) Contact Priyadarshi George for details. Please email to let him know you are coming prior to the ride. All brands and age motorcycles invited. Not sure how to get there from here? Steve Garrett will lead a group from Street Cycles to Manchester. Check the BMWRSM web site FMI.
July 11 – Monthly meeting Peppercorn Restaurant, Limerick, ME beginning at 8:30 AM $10.00 pp.
July 11 – Joshua Chamberlain ride. Part 1; Portland Brunswick, start from the Peppercorn after the meeting.
Part 2; Bangor, Brewer TBD later this summer, check the calendar on the website
July 23 – 25 – MOA Rally, Billings Montana
August 1 – Monthly meeting – TBD
October 1 – 4 – RA Rally, Harrison Arkansas
Shout Outs and Announcements
- Thanks to Duane, Stephanie, Ian and the staff at Street Cycles for hosting the June meeting and blood drive!
- Dave Esklund did another AMAZING job with this year’s Rally!
- Thanks to all who volunteered at the Rally, without you, there would be no Rally!
- Welcome to Brian Vandusen a new member.
- Members going to the MOA, please provide your email/contact information at the July meeting for the mini ME anonymous. It might be nice to see a friendly face should you run into a problem, besides being wicked cool.
- Peter Beliveau is no longer traveling to Alaska, change in plans.
- Minutes from April’s meeting were distributed. Motion was made, seconded and accepted by the membership present.
- No report; participating in the Black Fly Rally
- Membership as of today’s meeting; 95.
- 5 new members joined during the rally
- The push is on to make it 100!
- 2015 Rally – 197 registered – 4 no shows
- 2014 Rally – 199 registered – 195 in attendance
- 147 from the lower states, 48 from Canada, our neighbor to the north
- Costs were up for the camp sites, kelp shed, supplies
- The Club made $1,150.00
- The Rally went GREAT!
- Kitchen crew was exceptional!
The issue was brought up regarding volunteering. It was disappointing as to the lack of volunteers; it is same people all the time and it is becoming a greater challenge every year. No new members are learning how to keep the rally continuing for years to come. This is the Club’s only major fundraising event. If members are unwilling to help, then we should not have a rally. Members were encouraged to volunteer for a few hours; they do not need to attend the entire Rally.
- Need a group email sent out to membership
- Not easy to navigate the website to find out about volunteering
- Emphasize expectations of the volunteer positions
- Did not know where or when to go?
- Perception/communicate – volunteers do not need to be there for the whole rally
- Don’t need to register to volunteer
- The Vermont Club has over 500 members, Ted H says it is due to the club communicates more with members.
- A Newsletter is hard to put together.
- Shawn works hard on the website
- Never been made clear
- Make it an agenda item at the beginning of the year to start organizing volunteers
- Unsure if there were phantom attendees to the rally, did not check wrist bands at the gate.
- Need to hold more social events; ice cream rides, etc. the only time members get together is for meetings and the Rally.
- Recommendations; send out last minute email. Have a set day of the week/month for email communication to the membership. Develop a plan to mentor new members for positions at the Rally. Dave did a good job however; it’s time to train a replacement for Dave.
- Joshua Chamberlain ride will be in two parts; See Planning ahead
- Membership – MOA sent out our flyer to MOA members who are not RSM members. This resulted in increased web traffic to the site after the mailing however, there was no PayPal activity. Would consider doing it again if membership increases.
- Blood Drive – People who donate get a kick stand coaster, 1 prize will be drawn each hour from left over door prizes from the Rally.
- Is there any interest in a club get-a-way during the fall to a campground paid for by the club? Arcadia, Mid-coast, Bath?
- Phippsburg Fire and Rescue Thanks the Club for their support and the $500.00 donation. Did you see their Welcome sign to the Rally?
- Tom spoke about a recent article in the press regarding answering accusations about financial issues in court. An Executive Board meeting was held and it was determined Tom would relinquish check writing/signing to Don Kent the Vice President. It was the Board’s decision for Tom to continue as President for the remainder of his term. Tom was grateful and expressed his concern was for the benefit of the club.
Motion to Adjourn
A motion to adjourn was made and seconded.
Respectfully submitted Sandy Peabody