BMW Riders of Southern Maine March 4, 2017 Meeting Minutes
With 36 members in attendance, President Fred Burgess brought the meeting to order for March 4, 2017 at the Fairgrounds Café in Topsham, ME.
- March 18, 2017 – Saturday The Fabulous Mid Winter Movie Night at Romeo’s Route 1 Scarborough “ROAD” the story of the Dunlap Family. Movie starts at 7:00. Arrive at 6:00 to support our host restaurant for a meal (dinner on your own).
- March 25, 2017 – 9 to noon; Ed & Jim’s 6th Annual “Excellent” Swap Meet, at Jim Fisk’s, 67 Hanson Lane Hollis, ME
- March 25, 2017 – 9 to 5; BMW Open House Street Cycles, Route 1 Falmouth, ME.
- April 1, 2017 – Monthly meeting Fair Grounds Café Topsham, ME 8:30 start
- April 21-22 – “Frosty Nuts” Weekend camping at a Dolly Copp campground (White Mountain National Forest) Gorham, NH.
- May 6, 2017 – Monthly meeting Fair Grounds Café Topsham, ME 8:30 start
- May 19-21, 2017 RSM Down East Rally, Hermit Island, ME
- June 3, – Monthly meeting Fair Grounds Café Topsham, ME 8:30 start
- June 23-24 – Camping weekend, Destination Unknown
- July 6-8 – BMW RA Rally; Petoskey, MI.
- July 8, – Monthly meeting, TBD 8:30 start
- July 13-16; MOA International Rally; Salt Lake City, Utah
- August 5, – Monthly meeting TBD 8:30 start
- August 18-19 – Camping weekend – Lily Bay State Park, Go right in Greenville
- January is membership renewal time. Please see Leah or go to the RSM website.
- White Horse Press Conway, NH will be closing late spring.
- January’s meeting minutes were distributed, motioned and approved; Chris/ Bob
- No report given.
- No report given
- Rally committee is Ed Perry, Mike, Sandy Peabody, Nick Rendy, Adam Gilpatrick and Sharon
- There was discussion regarding problems with the club’s email system. Inconsistent delivery of messages.
- Logo is being fine-tuned; next steps will be the pins and hats.
- Sharon has started buying food for the rally.
- Sharon is also looking for feedback and expansion of the horderves offerings for Friday & Saturday afternoon.
- Fred is still looking for a nomination for the Ride Boss to coordinate the activities.
- Ken is still willing to help out.
- Rider Safety Course – May 13, 2017 Augusta. A one-day course. There are 6 openings (class size is 12) for advanced rider training. Two vendors were approached, one instructor has health issues and is not sure when a class can be scheduled. The 2nd vendor has 6 slots available for May 13 (1 week before the rally) The other 6 riders in the class will be from the law enforcement field. Please contact Ted Danforth if interested.
- BMW MOA has the Paul B Memorial Scholarship. The purpose of the scholarship is to award $250.00 grants to individuals for motorcycle rider education and training opportunities. The Foundation will award 40 scholarships annually to BMW MOA members. Requests should be submitted at least 30 days prior to the registration deadline. Go to the BMW MOA web site to download the application.
- Fred has not been successful (up to now) to find the time to begin the audit of the club’s finances.
- Max’s open house had at any given time 4 to 500 people circulating around their facility.
- The Facebook site does not accept members from over seas or applicants who on their own FB site are not a motorcycle rider or enthusiast. The reason for this is that it is viewed as a way to hack into our site, mine the email list or become a target of a SPAM dump.
- This years Red Cross Blood Drive will be some time in July. Dates are being coordinated with RSM, Street Cycles and the Red Cross mobile unit.
- Ted Danforth gave a slide presentation chronicling his trip to Alaska and his fundraising efforts for the Juvenile Arthritis Foundation Ride. Journey to Alaska for Juvenile Arthritis (JA4JA)
Motion to Adjourn;
Respectfully submitted Sandy Peabody